Internet Search Contest
Finding internet site about a subject is relatively simple using a search tool or subject directory. Finding an answer to a specific question (object-oriented searching) is difficult. The following contest is designed to develop skills in finding specific information.
- Divide the class into teams of two to four students.
- Contest will last for 25 minutes.
- Use the any of the search tools listed on the Internet Searching Tools site to search for answers.
- Provide a Web site complete with the URL as evidence you found the answer. No answer will be counted without a web site to verify the answer.
- Look at each question carefully to determine the major concepts or ideas.
- Try new tools and approaches.
- Have fun!
- (5 points) What is relevancy ranking?
- (5 points) What is the weather forecast for Ashland, Oregon tomorow?
- (5 points) What is the connection between George Orwell and Suffolk?
- (10 points) Find two search tools that search only web sites in Germany?
- (10 points) According to the history of the Bear Creek Corporation, Harry and David were the two sons of what man?
- (10 points) What is Google Book Search and how can it work with the Hannon Library Catalog and the Summit Catalog?
- (10 points) What abbreviation was inspired by the behavior of the partners of the England soccer team during the 2006 World Cup?
- (10 points) What search tool has a "Labs"section?
- (10 points) What is the "Labs" section and what can you find there?
- (10 points) What is the currency used in Egypt?
- (10 points) What is the value of $1217 in Egypt's currency?
***No fair using a personal calculator!
- (10 points) How many sites link to the <a href="http://hanlib.sou.edu/searchtools">http://hanlib.sou.edu/searchtools</a>?
- (10 points) What is Right to Privacy?
- (10 points) Find a picture of a polar bear cub.
- (10 points) What is the current stock price of Agilent Technologies?
- (15 points) Who starred in <I>Greetings</I>?
- (15 points) What is the name of the fastest steel roller coaster in the United States and where is it located?
- (20 points) My parents are having a party at their house. I want to send friends a map of how to get to the party. Their address is 7793 Brigham Road, Gates Mills, Ohio. Can you find a map that tells people how to get to this address?
Total points: 185
Please direct inquiries about this page to Dale Vidmar.