Central to the University and Southern Oregon, the Library supports the research and curricular needs of students and faculty. It serves the region through state, national, and international partnerships. The Library provides access to diverse resources and teaches skills for finding and evaluating information.
As a cultural and intellectual center of the university, Hannon Library inspires a passion for learning. In partnership with other academic faculty, the Library advances the teaching of information literacy deliberately and collaboratively. We anticipate trends and initiate new technologies to provide a seamless interface to the world of information and advance the pursuit of knowledge. Our diverse collections balance traditional and digital formats to enhance student scholarship and academic inquiry. To support both the curriculum and community, we preserve and provide access to unique resources about our region. Our faculty and staff play a dynamic role in the vitality of the university through our leadership and commitment to excellence.
- We embrace cooperation and collaboration in an environment that encourages the professional growth and fulfillment of library faculty and staff. We respond to individual differences with respect and strive for inclusive, honest, and open communication. We determine our direction and major decisions through a considered and deliberative team process.
- We are committed to exceptional services and excellence in the profession. We strive to exceed the expectations of our academic and regional communities. We honor our commitments and respond to the changing needs of a dynamic educational environment.
Access to Information
- We facilitate access to information and resources both within and beyond our Library. We celebrate the quest for knowledge and scholarly inquiry. We embrace our role in the development of a balanced and diverse collection aligned with the curriculum and mission of the university. We encourage diverse points of view, recognize the right to privacy and intellectual freedom, and provide access to information without regard to sex, race, ethnic identity, age, religion or sexual orientation.
Teaching and Learning
- We foster an actively engaged, student-centered learning community that inspires investigation and discovery. We are committed to advancing information literacy skills and facilitating lifelong learning by providing instruction and resources that meet the differing needs of learners and promote the spirit of inquiry.
- We capitalize on new and evolving advancements in the Library and information technology, seeking creative yet practical approaches to providing access to information. We promote a culture of experimentation and encourage risk-taking in the pursuit of excellence.
The Library as a Cultural Center
- We maintain an attractive and comfortable setting that invites contemplative study, facilitates group interaction, and is conducive to learning. We sponsor a wide range of programs that speak to our diverse constituencies, broadening experience and enriching the intellect.
Approved by the Senate Library Advisory Committee, March 8, 2006