Downloads to Make Your Research Easier:
First, if you don't have it already you'll need to download Firefox for Windows, English (5.0MB).
Firefox has a search box (upper right hand corner) that lets you select your preferred search engine using the dropdown menu. Here are some more that you can add:
- Hannon Library Catalog
- Summit Catalog
- Librarians' Internet Index
- Alltheweb, Vivisimo, Exalead, Google Uncle Sam, and Powell's are also available...
- Also note the SearchPlugInHacks for removing search engines that you don't want.
What's an extension?
- Google Toolbar is a Google toolbar for Firefox.
- Forecastfox puts local weather icons on your bottom bar that are periodically updated.
- IE Tab adds an option under the right click that lets you see a Web page in Microsoft IE within a Firefox tab.
- Define Word
- Copy Plain Text
- Adblock helps block ads.
- Greasemonkey allows you to use scripts that will customize a display. For example:
- Amazon Mini Shop lets you search Amazon in a sidebar.
- Find more at Firefox Add-ons and Mozdev.org
Other Firefox tips:
- Control T: Opens a new tab
- Control W: Closes a tab
- F11: Views full screen (nice for instruction sessions and presentations)--click on "Restore" in upper right to get back out of it
- Open a set of webpages by saving them into a single bookmark folder and then "Open in Tabs"
- Control-Shift-Delete: Clears personal data