We are committed to providing equal and effective access to our information resources for all Southern Oregon University students, faculty, and staff.
To achieve and maintain online accessibility we will:
- Audit our library website for accessibility issues and correct problems to ensure that our pages are in compliance with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0, conformance level AA.
- Perform manual checks on high-level pages on an annual basis to identify and address new errors.
- Utilize SiteImprove, a tool that automatically checks websites for WCAG compliance, to identify and address accessibility problems on a quarterly basis.
- Train those with web content responsibilities on maintaining compliance with the WCAG.
- Develop policies and other best practices for webpage creation and maintenance.
Document Delivery & Borrowing Accommodations
- If you are unable to physically check out or pick up library items, you can authorize a proxy to do it for you. Use the Proxy Registration Form to set this up.
- Place a request on local items available on the shelf, and we will get it for you to pick up and check out within 24 hours.
- If you need an article or book chapter from a Hannon Library print book or journal, we will scan and deliver it to you electronically. For articles, request it through Interlibrary Loan. For books, use the "Scan a book chapter" in Hannon Library Search.
- Scanned documents can be converted to speech using Kurzweil software. For more information, contact Disability Resources.
- You may be eligible to request alternate formats. To learn more, go to Disability Resources' page on Alternate Format Requests.
- ADA parking spaces are located to the front of the library (near Indiana Street), with a ramp from the parking lot to the library's front door.
- The circle in front of the library (off of Indiana Street) has a drive-up book return bin.
- Automatic door openers are available on the library's front door.
- For your convenience, there are two elevators in the library. One is located by the restrooms and the other is located in the back of the building. Consult this map of the library to see where they are.
- All restrooms are ADA accessible with an ADA stall in each.
- An adjustable-height table with a Windows PC is located on the first floor in the main
computer lab, room 113 and room 114.
- Quick lookup stations with height-adjustable tables are located on the second floor in
Periodicals and on the third floor by the stacks, front side of the building.
- Locational building signs all include braille.
- Hannon Library features accessible study, conference, and meeting rooms.
All Windows computers in the Hannon Library have accessible software installed for those needing assistive technology in addition to Windows built-in accessibility features. Examples include:
- Jaws 17
- Zoomtext 10.1
- FS Reader
All Mac computers in the Hannon Library have Apple’s built-in accessibility features.
Questions or Concerns?
If you have questions or need further assistance with accessibility, please contact us through our Ask a Librarian service. If you prefer, you can also call the Research Services Desk during Research Service hours at 541-552-6442. Your question will be referred to the appropriate person and you will receive a response within one business day when classes are in session. If SOU is between sessions, you will receive a response within one week.
Further information about SOU's resources can be found through SOU's Disability Resources.